How To Deal With Failure and Setbacks In Four Steps
NOTE: I created a video about this exact topic. If you prefer, you can watch it here.
I watched a video recently with one of my favorite internet entrepreneurs, Marie Forleo. Marie interviewed Dr. Catherine Collautt, and they chatted about how to deal with setbacks and failure.
Dr. Collautt outlined four steps to help you overcome setbacks and failure:
1. You must learn to deal with and overcome setbacks and failure. Dr. Collautt states we should think of it in terms of necessity as opposed to possibility. Don't wonder, "How is it possible for me to overcome failure?" and think instead, "I have to find a way to deal with and overcome failure when it does happen". Because failure and setbacks are a certainty in life.
2. Recognize that success and failure are on the same path. Don’t think of success and failure as two separate roads; they’re actually on the same road. Dr. Collautt says you need to relax about your failures! Successful people fail more often than other people because they don't view failure as judgment of their entire being.
3. Celebrate the effort, not the result. Dr. Collautt says we should genuinely applaud the effort, and that it should not be tied to results.
4. Confine your conclusions. Don't let the specific failure define you. The specific task, project, or activity that is the subject of the failure is NOT about you as a person and your entire self-worth.
Following these four steps can help you to redefine what failure means to you. Freeing yourself from the fear of failure may be the mindset shift you need to allow you to reach outside your comfort zone.
- February 2019
- Jan 17, 2019 10 Simple Tips: How To Choose Your Mommy Blog Name
- December 2018
- Nov 24, 2018 The Habits of Highly Effective Side Hustling Moms: Habit #3 - Put First Things First and Don't Let Others Control Your Time and Life
- Nov 19, 2018 The Habits of Highly Effective Side Hustling Moms: Habit #2 - Begin With The End In Mind (See The Finish Line)
- Nov 19, 2018 The Habits of Highly Effective Side Hustling Moms: Habit #1- Be Proactive (So You Don't Go Down the Wrong Path)
- Nov 14, 2018 25 Ways Working Moms Can Earn Side Money Right Now
- Nov 13, 2018 The Ten Step Side Hustle Start-Up Checklist
- Nov 7, 2018 Five Essential Audiobooks for the Working Mom Side Hustler
- Nov 6, 2018 The 10 Step Framework to Starting Your Side Hustle Biz (For Working Moms!)
- Nov 5, 2018 How To Stay Motivated At Your Day Job While Building Your Side Hustle
- Nov 5, 2018 Two Strategies You Need To Build Lasting Habits
- Nov 5, 2018 Know Your Personality To Build Habits That Stick
- Nov 5, 2018 Don’t Break A Good Habit: Use These Two Strategies To Stay On Track
- Nov 5, 2018 How To Deal With Failure and Setbacks In Four Steps